Vision / Proposal
- Proposed demolition of c.660,000 sqft of gross building area which will improve the skyline and significantly reduce the visual impact of the large former hospital buildings
- Delivering around 350 new high quality homes
- A new primary school to serve the local community
- New public open space
- New formal and informal play areas
- Retain and integrate The Gables, The Memorial Wing and 60-62 Thorpe Road
Public Open Space
Public Open Space will be provided across the site and within easy reach of all the new homes. The largest of these will be a public Green located adjacent to The Gables building.
Children’s Play Areas will be provided on site and incorporated into the Public Open Spaces.
The Gables Area
We believe this area is most suited to large detached 4-5 bedroom family homes. They are likely to be no more than 3 storey (ground floor +2) with large rear gardens, private front gardens and off stree parking for 2 or more cars.
These large detached home will be built using quality traditional materials and will be designed to respect and fit with the architecture of The Gables. The homes will surround public open space and the area will contain tree lined streets and generous pavements.
This area will be accessed from the existing road off Thorpe Road (close to the entrance to Peterborough School) and via City Care Centre Area.
The City Care Centre Area
This are is more suited to good sized 3-4 bedroom,terraced and semi-detached family homes. They are likely to be no more that 3 storey (ground floor +2) with private rear gardens.
These family houses will provide good natural surveillance for the public open space. This area could contain different street surfaces and paving that clearly defines it as a residential area, distinguishing it from the City Care Centre. Driveways and off-street parking could be provided.
This area will be accessed from the road serving the City Care Centre (off Thorpe Road), from halfway up Alderman’s Drive and via the neighbouring Gables Area.
Main Hospital Building Area
The site of the former main hospital building, this area is closest to the station/city centre. We believe this makes it more suitable for smaller terraced houses and a limited number of apartments.
The terraced houses could be up to 3 storyhigh (ground floor +2) with the apartments up to 4 (ground floor+3). We believe the apartments are most likely to front onto Midland Road.
- Private gardens for the terraced housing and large balconies for the apartments
- On street parking for visitors
- Good access to green open space at the centre of this character area
Working closely with Peterborough City Council, we have identified this area as a potential location for a new primary school.